Recipe originally posted on Made By Munchie’s Mama Blog
My boys are obsessed with popsicles. It’s their very favorite treat. They will choose popsicles over candy, cake, ice cream, a million dollars…you name it. I figure popsicles aren’t too bad of a treat, but by making a couple adjustments you can actually make it a healthy treat.
For this recipe, instead of using ice cream, I used keifer. Keifer is a creamy probiotic dairy beverage similar to but distinct from yogurt. Lifeway offers the largest selection of Kefir in the world. Based on whole milk, low-fat or non-fat pasteurized milk, Lifeway Kefir has a unique effervescent quality that stems from the exclusive blend of kefir grains. The blend of cultures contains seven to ten billion CFU’s of 10 strains of bacteria, plus ProBoost, our exclusive pair of clinically proven probiotics to balance your body’s ecosystem, support digestive health and immunity – that’s 12 live and active cultures per cup. I also used fat free Cool Whip to help lighten it up.
Here is what you need:
- 5 T Fat Free Cool Whip
- 5 Medium Strawberries (diced)
- 30 Mini Nilla Wafers (crushed into crumbs)
- 5 Tubes Lifeway ProBugs Frozen Kefir in orange (defrosted till soft)
- 1/2 T Butter (melted, not pictured)
- 6 small drinking cups
- 6 Popsicle sticks
1. Mix melted butter and crushed Nilla Wafer still combined.
2. Layer 1 spoonful of each ingredient into the drinking cups in this order:
Kefir / Wafer mixture / Cool Whip / Strawberries / Kefir
3. Insert popsicle stick and freeze for 4-5 hours
To remove from cup: snip the top of cup with scissors and peel cup off
And then enjoy!