You all know you’re supposed to clean your makeup brushes, but how often are we actually doing it?? Here’s a super simple tutorial with some tips and tricks for how to clean your makeup brushes! Links to products available at the end of this post! First, let’s have a heart to heart about why you want to clean your brushes on the regular. Once a week cleanings are the gold standard, but don’t let them go past a month. Additionally, if you find your skin is breaking out more than usual, that’s a sign your brushes probably need a good cleaning.
If these 7 reasons why you need to clean your makeup brushes don’t have you on a weekly cleaning schedule, I don’t know what will!
- Bacteria Build Up: Dirty brushes are a breading ground for nasty bacteria. Make sure you pick up a brush cleaner that also sanitizes your brushes.
- Clogged Pores: Putting those dirty brushes from your makeup to your face and back to your makeup is a recipe for disaster. That old makeup settles into your pores and clogs them.
- Breakouts: You know that bacteria and those clogged pores we just talked about? Yep, you guessed it! Mix those together and you get some majorly unhappy skin.
- Viral Infections: If you are sharing your brushes with family members or roommates or using them on clients, you are increasing your chance of picking up a viral infection like pink eye.
- Bugs (Yuck!): Yep, you heard me right. Your dirty brushes and sponges can actually attract bugs. Is your skin crawling yet?
- Damaged Brushes: We are all guilty of having that one brush that is clumped up with so much makeup that it is just beyond repair. If you are cleaning on a regular basis it will make your brushes last so much longer and will keep your money in your pocket.
- Muddy Make Up Application: The key to those YouTube perfect shadow looks is blending…and clean brushes. When you already have makeup on your brushes you are not getting a true color shadow application. Instead, you get a mixture of all the colors you have used in the days before, making for a muddy looking mess.
If this post has your running to your bathroom to get to scrubbing, check out this quick video showing you have to clean your brushes in a fraction of the time it usually takes. The key to quick and easy brush cleaning is great brush cleaner. I use Senegence Brush Cleaner and it was a life changing transition. You can see below how quickly it breaks down product leaving your brushes looking like new. Grab yours HERE.
Looking for a new set a brushes to start over? Here are some of my faves along with some additional cleaning supplies.
Latest posts by Summer Alvarez (see all)
- Lipsense Pop Art Pink A Bright Lip Color for Spring! - April 21, 2018
- Lipsense Mod Magenta Prism of Color Limited Edition - April 19, 2018
- Short Hair Curls – Beachwaver Review - April 17, 2018